Voltou para Centro de Midia Popular página inicial
One year under the pandemic - international perspectives & lessons
Topic: One year under the pandemic - international perspectives & lessons
Time: Mar 29, 2021 07:00 PM London
Event by Glasgow Covid-19 Action Group - People before profit and People Before Profit
The death toll from Covid 19 in Britain is the highest in Europe and fifth-highest in the world while in countries like New Zealand less than 30 people have died since the pandemic started. This shows this wasn't simply an inevitable tragedy. The policies and strategies pursued by governments have determined the impact of Covid-19 on human lives. The impact on jobs and conditions has also been uneven.
We need to continue to push against the cruel and callous disregard for human life that has run through every aspect of the UK Tory government’s handling of the pandemic. At every turn they have put profit before people. In Scotland, we have been tied to the ‘four nation strategy’ and we are paying the price.
We are pleased to announce that we will have a panel of international speakers joining us on Monday 29th March. They will share their experiences over the last year. We will hear how different countries have dealt with the pandemic, and what we can learn.
· Therese Moloney, Ireland, Author of report on Covid 19 and Unite the Union EC representative for Ireland (personal capacity)
· Hugo Ramos, Cuban Ambassador for Ireland
· Kirsten Flaten, Norway, Academic and researcher
· Nilton Freitas, Brazil, Regional Representative for Latin America and the Caribbean, Building and Wood Worker`s International trade union
· Nicola Owen, New Zealand, Disability Rights worker in Auckland
· Angela McCormick, Glasgow Covid19 Action Group
Please join us from 7pm on Monday 29th March, using the zoom link:
Meeting ID: 844 5465 7031
The meeting will also be livestreamed on facebook from the meeting here